Ask the Expert Sponsors

Ask the Expert Sponsors

NEW! Ask The Expert

Do you have a Legal question?

SCV Members now have the benefit of complimentary response from SCV Affiliate Member Dickenson, Peatman & Fogarty.

How it works: Submit your general legal question by filling in the simple query form and the membership will typically receive a response within one-five business days.

Read the Ask the Expert Recent Questions


Labor Question

I’m a winery and vineyard owner using the services of a vineyard manager on a year-round basis. Since the services are not seasonal, they are not a farm labor contractor, right?

California defines what a “farm labor contractor” is broadly. In California, a vineyard management company is almost always considered a farm labor contractor (commonly referred to as an “FLC”). Vineyard management companies who are FLCs must comply with California laws regulating FLCs, including registration and licensing. Growers or owners who engage a vineyard management company/FLC have an affirmative statutory obligation to check the license and retain a copy for at least three years following the termination of services.

©2016 Sonoma County Vintners, 400 Aviation Boulevard, Suite 500, Santa Rosa, CA 95403